DAY TOUR SUGGESTIONS
Below are some suggestions
for single day ski tours in the Snowy Mountains and ACT that I initially
produced for my ski club newsletter. Some of these tours can only
be done in good snow seasons. The list is not exhaustive but covers
most of the main areas.
- Nordic Trails - 2.5, 5, 7.5 & 10 km loops starting from
the Perisher Nordic Shelter.
- Perisher to Smiggin Holes via the Mt Piper trail - 2.5 km,
- Perisher to Dainer's Gap via Thompsons Plain trail (car swap
- Perisher to The Paralyser - good slopes and snow gums.
- Perisher to Blue Cow - along the road past North Perisher
then up to Blue Cow terminal.
- Perisher to Blue Cow - via Perisher Gap and the saddle between
The Paralyser & Mt Perisher.
- The Porcupine - granite outcrops overlooking the Crackenback
- Perisher to Charlotte Pass via The Porcupine.
- Perisher to Charlotte Pass via Kosciuszko Road & Spencer's
- Smiggins Loop - 2 & 4 km loops starting from Smiggin Holes.
- Mt Wheatley - good snow gums and slopes.
- Blue Cow Trails - 5, 6 & 10 km loops starting from the
Blue Cow terminal (not sure if still operating)
- Guthega Trig - good slopes in this area. Good descent to the
- Mt Tate - via Guthega Trig and Consett Stephen Pass, or Tate
- Tate West Ridge - via Consett Stephen Pass. Good views of
- Tate East Ridge, Mt Tate, Consett Stephen Pass, Guthega Trig
- The Rolling Grounds - good views and rolling terrain.
- Munyang - via the Rolling Grounds (car swap)
- Dicky Cooper Bogong - via the Rolling Grounds.
- Mt Twynam or Little Twynam - via Snowy River valley and Illawong
- Mt Anderson - via Tate East Ridge and Illawong Lodge circuit.
- Blue Lake - via Snowy River valley.
- Charlotte Pass - via Illawong Lodge and Spencers Creek.
- Guthrie Trig - via Illawong Lodge. Great views of the Main
- Guthega to The Paralyser - good slopes and views of the Main
- Whites River Hut - via the firetrail or the aqueduct tracks.
- Schlink Pass / Schlink Hut - via the firetrail or the aqueduct
- Rolling Grounds, or Dicky Cooper Bogong.
- Guthega via the Rolling Grounds (car swap)
- Disappointment Spur Hut and Horse Camp Hut - via the aqueduct
track and firetrail.
- Tin Hut - via Disappointment Spur.
- Aqueduct tracks circuit - both sides of the valley. Fairly
- Mt Kosciuszko - follow the route of the metal walkway to Australia's
- Kosciuszko South Ridge and Cootapatamba Hut - ski above the
cornice & down to the hut.
- Ramshead Plateau - including North Ramshead and Ramshead peaks.
- South Ramshead - good views of Leatherbarrel Ck, Cascades
Area and into Victoria.
- Dead Horse Gap - catch chairlift then descend through trees
to Dead Horse Gap.
- Leatherbarrel Creek / Swampy Plains River area - steep slopes,
good views into Victoria.
- Seaman's Hut - via Rawson's Pass or Snowy Bridge.
- Mt Townsend / Lake Albina - Australia's 2nd highest peak.
Good descent to the lake.
- Alice Rawson Peak - fantastic views of Lady Northcote Canyon,
Geehi & Main Range.
- Wilkinson's Valley. Good ski down the valley towards the start
of Hannel's Spur.
- Abbot Range - good views towards Khancoban and the southern
part of the Main Range.
- Mueller's Peak - overlooks Lake Albina.
- Etheridge Ridge - overlooks Rawson's Pass and Seaman's Hut.
- Guthega - via Charlotte Pass and Spencer's Creek or Snowy
River Valley (long car swap)
- South Ramshead - climb up through the snow gums. Good views
- Brindle Bull - a plateau behind Thredbo village. Good views
of the Ramshead Range.
- Teddy's Hut - via Thredbo River or the Brindle Bull.
- Paddy Rushes Bogong - a peak behind Thredbo village. Via the
- The Chimneys - good views of the Ramshead Range, Tin Mine
Area and into Victoria.
- Cascade Hut - wooded country, many brumbies in this area.
Over Bob's Ridge.
- Ramshead Range - climb to the Ramshead Range, and beyond,
From Mt Selwyn:
- Mt Selwyn Trail - climbs Mt Selwyn, crosses open plains, good
views of Mt Jagungal.
- Goldseekers Trail - 3 km circuit. Contains some old goldmining
- Three Mile Dam - Easy skiing around the dam. Good ski slope
on the dam wall.
- Kings Cross Trail - easy trail running parallel with the Kings
- Kings Cross area - easy skiing on the road south of Kings
- Cabramurra via Kings Cross Road - good views and easy skiing.
- Kiandra - via Mt Selwyn trail and Pollocks Gully.
- Four Mile Hut - old miners hut built in the 1930's. Good descent
- Broken Dam Hut - picturesque hut built in 1910. Close to Tabletop
- Tabletop Mountain - long day trip. Great views towards Mt
- Nordic Trails - 2.5, 5, 10 & 15 km loops starting from
the Cabramurra Nordic Shelter.
- Mt Selwyn via Kings Cross Road.
- Fire trails and roads around Cabramurra township.
- Sawyers Hill area
- Four Mile Hut - via Pollocks Gully and the Tabletop trail.
- Mt Selwyn - via Pollocks Gully and the Mt Selwyn trail.
- Three Mile Dam - head up the valley parallel to the road.
- Tantangara Mountain - good slopes and tree skiing.
- Plains of Heaven - on the western side of the road above the
- Thompsons Plain trail to Perisher - fairly flat terrain (car
- Lake Jindabyne lookout - good views towards Jindabyne from
the edge of the plateau.
- Rainbow Lake - the old water supply for Hotel Kosciusko. Good snowgums.
- Stilwell Plateau - nordic trails, Eagles Nest restaurant ruin,
good views of Main Range.
- Guthrie Trig - Good slopes and great views of the Main Range.
- Mt Kosciuszko - via summit road and Seaman's Hut.
- Carruthers Peak - spectacular views and a long downhill run
to the Snowy River.
- Club Lake - nestled below Carruthers Peak. Steep skiable chutes
and gullies nearby.
- Kunama Hut Ruin - destroyed by avalanche in the 1950's. Below
- Blue Lake - the largest glacial lake in the area. Surrounded
by large cliffs.
- Mt Twynam - Australia's 3rd highest peak. Good views of the
Main Range and Geehi.
- Watsons Crags - steep slopes, large cornice, spectacular views
- The Sentinel - steep slopes for the experts. Very spectacular.
- Mt Clarke, Mt Northcote, Mt Lee and Carruthers Peak circuit.
- Lakes Circuit - via Seaman's Hut, Mt Kosciuszko, Mt Northcote,
Mt Lee and Carruthers Peak.
- Little Austria and Lady Northcote Canyon.
- Lake Albina - picturesque glacial lake above Lady Northcote
- Mt Franklin - site of the CAC Chalet and old ski runs.
- Mt Ginini - contains old ski runs. Good views towards Jagungal
- Ginini Flats.
- Mt Gingera - the flat topped mountain visible from Canberra.
- Mt Franklin Road - easy skiing along the road through snow
- Mt Jagungal via Nimmo Hill
- Eucembene Cove to Happy's Hut, via road overlooking Lake Eucembene.
- Grey Mare Range - via Pinnacle fire trail. Spectacular views
of the Main Range.
Contact "alanlevy at pcug dot org dot au"
for more information.
Return to Cross-Country Skiing