Amber Zone - Dead Man Walking
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:13:35 +0100
From: Jens Rydholm
Subject: [TML] Adventure seed: Dead man walking
OK, to save my brain from collapsing under the weight of compiler construction (using Java, no less), I have dreamed up another adventure seed.
On some relatively low-tech planet (about TL6-7 works best) just about anywhere.
The PCs have just touched down on the world's largest airport, which also doubles as a spaceport for visiting ships. Business here has to be conducted a short trip away from the port due to regulations, but the cargo of high-tech luxury goods promises great return on the investment, so it will be orth a little extra time.
After making a very profitable deal at a business dinner downtown, the business partner of the PCs (who will probably also be very rich from this deal) invites them to join him on a night out on town. Since it would be both rude (to their host) and stupid (since everything is paid for) not to accept this offer, the PCs probably accept.
During the evening at one of the finer clubs in the city, chaos suddenly breaks out, and people start running everywhere, desperately looking for some person named Balersh Langooni. If they ask the right questions (and manage to hear the answer despite the loud noise), they find out that he is a very famous actor, and was just seen by "someone" just "nearby" (think Elvis hysteria, only more so). The only problem is that Balersh Langooni is supposedly dead since about half a year back...
Outcome (Roll 1D)
- The sighting was false, and things calm down after a while. If the PCs happen to mention to people that they've never heard of Balersh Langooni, they might get a souvernir poster or other such token. "Now you know".
- As above, but several people are wounded in the crowd, which came close to rioting. The police arrives and begins to question people. This brings a slightly uncomfortable end to the night for the PCs, but nothing else.
- As above, but one of the PCs is by an accident rather similiar to Balersh Langooni in a certain light), especially wearing his current outfit. Charges of inciting a riot might be raised against the unfortunate PC if the police cannot be convinced that this was an innocent mistake.
- Balersh Langooni is alive after all! The automobile accident was just a fake to get away from all the publicity for a few months, but now he is back. Unfortunately, his chosen method of announcing his comeback (just walking into an expensive club and meeting the fans) backlashed when his appearance caused a riot, and the PCs just might be able to rescue him from the crazed mob (possibly earning yet more profit in the process).
- As above, but had attempted to disguise himself in order to meet the offworlders (the PCs) and hire passage on their ship. The public (as well as the dictatorial government) would never allow him to leave if they thought he was still alive, which is why he faked his death. Unfortunately, escape suddenly became a lot more difficult, but he is still prepared to try. This might cause all kinds of problems if the PCs agree to help.
- This was just the first dead person recognized. Soon, it becomes apparent that a lot of people thought dead are walking the streets. They are in fact corpses, reanimated by the will of a demented and very powerful offworld psionic, using an amplification device to allow his powers to control lots of corpses at the same time. He is aiming for a takeover of the city, and later the entire world.
"They come from the bowels of hell, a transformed race of walking dead. Zombies, guided by a master plan for complete domination of the Earth. Plan 9 from outer space!"
||Jens 'Spacejens' Rydholm
||Student of computer science and
||Currently doing master thesis
||technology at the University of
||work at the University of
Return to Top of Page