Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:31:00 +1000
Subject: [TML] Adventure Seed: Easter Island
Seems he has a research grant from a major University on Terra. The Scientist has 'evidence' that the mysterious statues on Easter Island on Terra are duplicated on a number of worlds. He has traced the worlds from the Solomani Sphere of Influence all the way back to the Spinward Marches (or whatever sector the players happen to be in at the time). All he needs is a ship, a competent crew, and a few months of their time. He has cargo and equipment that he would need to bring onboard as well.
This Scientist has approached a number of Ship Captains but has been turned down each time, probably due to them being prejudiced against Solomani. He is well-funded and would more than likely pay a higher-than-normal charter rate.
01) The guy is exactly what he says, a desperate Scientist trying to prove his theory. He will have the players Jump to many remote systems that are otherwise dead or very low-tech level. He eventually will find some ruins that may or may not be similar to the Easter Island statues.
02) The guy is a Scientist, but he isn't funded by a University. He sold all of his possessions to finance this trip. He will have the players Jump to many remote systems that are otherwise dead or very low-tech level. He eventually will find some ruins that may or may not be similar to the Easter Island statues. If he is unable to find any ruins, he will not be able to 'sell' his idea to a University or a Museum locally and will not be able to pay the players.
03) The guy was a Scientist, but was drummed out over his crazy theories. If a detailed search is performed on this guy, it will be discovered that he has a string of misdemeanour charges against him on numerous worlds. His sanity may slip after a month or two of not finding any ruins.
04) The guy is a Con Artists extraordinaire, and he plans on using the player's good will to con Universities, Museums, Historical Societies, anyone who will listen and 'front' his trips. He will never actually go to any remote planet; rather he'll make the circuit of possible fund-suppliers and sponsors. On his last Jump, he'll abandon the players, ripping them off for their charter fees and (if possible) make them look like they were co-conspirators in the plan.
05) The guy is a criminal who used to work for a Scientist, thus he knows some of the lingo. He is on the run from the law and is using this as a cover to get as far away from this planet as possible. Once far enough away, he will abandon the players.
06) Same as 5, only he will try to steal the player's ship, stranding them on a remote world if possible and assuming their identity.
Online Multi-Player, Computer-Moderated Traveller game