The home page of David Ingalls Bell
I am a computer programmer of much experience with an interest
in science and mathematics. I was born and educated in the United
States, but I now live in Canberra, Australia.
My hobbies include Astronomy, Linux, and Conway's Game of
I am appreciative of the large amount of free software (with
sources) that many others have written, and am happy that I have my
own software to offer in return. This page has links to the best
bits of it, mostly for UNIX and Linux.
My EMail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some of the freely available programs that I have
- Weather 1.12 -
Java application to plot weather observations from the Australian Government's Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) web site.
- FileSelection 2.0 -
Java application to manipulate lists of files.
1.0 - Java application to watch HTTP connections made by your
- calc -
an arbitrary precision programmable calculator with a C-like
- calc 3.2 (experimental) -
an experimental new version of an arbitrary precision programmable
calculator with a C-like syntax.
- dblife 10.2 - a Life
program running under X11 and UNIX with many editing features.
- su1 6.0 - allows
specified users to run certain commands as root.
- lifesrc 3.8 - a
program that finds oscillators.
- hashlife 2.1 - a
specialized Life program.
- sash 3.8 - a stand-alone
shell with many built-in commands.
- scanSquidLog 1.1
- quickly finds URLs in squid log files.
- ips 4.2 - an intelligent
process status program for Linux.
- configprog 2.0 - lets
programs have configurable strings in their executables.
- path 3.3 - allows easy
manipulation of PATH-like environment variables.
- fsc 10.4 - a set of
source control utilities for personal use.
- dpy 4.1 - a curses
replacement which allows easy definition of terminal windows.
- dpygames 2.3 - a few
terminal games which use the dpy library.
- blumrand - a very good
random number generator.
- mille 3.2 - a Mille
Bournes game for terminals (needs dpy).
- mw 3.0 - a multi-player
mazewar game for terminals (needs dpy).
- rivhack - A program to
examine or modify Riven save files.
I have written some articles on Conway's Game of Life and
I maintain archives of some objects in Life and related
automata. These can be read using my dblife program (or some other
I viewed the total solar eclipse of 4 December 2002 at Ceduna,
South Australia. A picture and discussion of the event is
I walked from Canberra to Cann River (a distance of 300 km)
in January 2006.
An annotated log of my trip is
Change history (since 2014):
- 30 January 2014 - updated Weather to version 1.7
- 19 February 2014 - updated Weather to version 1.8
- 27 February 2014 - updated calc (experimental) to version 3.2
- 7 March 2014 - updated sash to version 3.8
- 16 March 2014 - updated dblife to version 8.4
- 18 March 2014 - updated ips to version 4.1
- 15 April 2014 - updated su1 to version 6.0
- 17 April 2014 - updated Weather to version 1.9
- 22 April 2014 - updated ips to version 4.2
- 25 April 2014 - updated mille to version 3.0
- 13 June 2014 - updated mille to version 3.1
- 17 June 2014 - updated dpy to version 3.2
- 22 June 2014 - updated dpygames to version 2.1
- 5 July 2014 - updated dpy to version 4.0
- 17 July 2014 - updated dpy to version 4.1, dpygames to 2.2, mille to 3.2
- 31 July 2014 - added mw version 3.0
- 11 September 2014 - updated hashlife to version 2.0
- 18 September 2014 - updated hashlife to version 2.1
- 27 September 2014 - updated dpygames to version 2.3
- 2 August 2015 - updated dblife to version 8.5
- 4 August 2015 - updated Weather to version 1.10
- 4 September 2015 - updated dblife to version 9.0
- 13 October 2015 - updated dblife to version 10.0
- 23 October 2015 - updated dblife to version 10.1
- 28 November 2015 - updated dblife to version 10.2
- 3 May 2016 - updated Weather to version 1.11
- 21 June 2016 - updated Weather to version 1.12