My letter for 2012
2012 was a Better-Back year. I removed nearly all disruption from my constant round of exercise and treatment. That is to say, I hardly went anywhere. Funny sort of life!
My nephew Daniel at Civic Pool, January 2012
I'm not having a lot of luck trying to describe the year, so you're getting some lists. If you have any questions (or answers) you can me!
- Drove down a mountain only hours before the road was closed by a mudslide
- Learned about Australian railways at U3A
- Was pressed into joining the Portrait Gallery's Circle of Friends
- Helped found a Danish group in the Polyglot Club
- Bought a painting (or three)
Triptych: Top of the hill by Julie McCarron-Benson
The whole exhibition consisted of paintings of little pathways and scenes just off William Hovell Drive, one of the main roads in north Canberra. I chose this one because the colours of the Monaro, and the mountain backdrop, say "Home" to me
- Went with little sister Fiona and niblings Amy and Daniel to Alpaca Magic
Fiona with an alpaca called Fiona; Daniel & Amy spinning
- Saw my nephew Daniel play an absent-minded scientist in his school musical, Mawson
Mawson is another wonderful composition by Jeff Bonnor, who wrote Gold Fever and Cook! The Musical, mentioned in earlier letters here because Amy was in them.
Mr Bonnor (as we are accustomed to call him) has a website, Talkback Productions, which has a photo of the cast of Mawson in the second item on its Testimonials page. Daniel's the one next to the boy in the mortarboard.
I hope Mawson won't be Mr Bonnor's last musical: he used to write them on his long train commute from the central coast, and has now taken a job closer to home!
- Started swimming at Erindale pool instead of Civic
- The second Cat-Visiting Progressive Afternoon Tea was a great success...
Camilla with Fred, one of Helene's Boys
- ...as was early Christmas
Clockwise from top: Mary, Annabel, Richard, Dac, Brian
- Going out for lunch on Christmas Day wasn't nearly as good as last year, however. Good company, with Daryl and Connie, but the place was noisy and crowded
- Coriole in 2012 featured Italian music, starting from the Renaissance, so I had to go! I am very grateful to Annabel for helping me travel
- Many concerts...
- Unexpected excellence: Sydney Male Choir at the Portrait Gallery lecture on the painting Mr and Mrs Horace Keats in the 'Christopher Brennan Cycle' by Dora Toovey - that'll teach me to be suspicious of chaps older than me in neat uniforms!
- Weirdest: Sunken Dreams by the Song Company, featuring choral arrangements of French impressionist music. It was nice, but there's so much wonderful choral music we never or rarely get to hear...
- A record number of carol services
Brian with Chiz; Amy and Daniel with other furry friends, probably Boo and Max
- Phil from Geneva
- Dorelle and Monica (with doggos) from Sydney at last!
- Kimberley from Perth
- Daryl from Sydney
- Fiona! Niblings! Cody!
Amy with Max; Chiz and Cody conferring; Daniel with Max
At the birthday party
- We keep trying to reinstate the Weekend Walks but something always gets in the way.
In 2012 there were half a dozen walks that never got written up. Blogging the walks was very enjoyable, but it filled all the uncommitted moments of my week. This meant I was going backwards on everything else at an even faster rate than usual.
SCUNA, the choir of the Australian National University, will celebrate (one hopes) its 50th anniversary in 2013, Canberra's centenary year. Accordingly, I spent a fair whack of time in 2012 on my SCUNA history pages. ANU Archives has agreed to add them to their electronic archive in 2013, so I want them to be finished. There's a fair way to go!
Question of the year
- Why do indoor pool lifeguards fling open every door and window they can find, even if the outside temperature is in single figures?
- We leave very soon to spend a week in Tasmania near Helen and Chloe. We'll hear Helen sing at the Cygnet Folk Festival
- I intend to participate in the Canberra Centenary celebrations as much as I can
- I may buy a gold pass to the Canberra International Music Festival in May. I will not get the flu and miss the whole thing this time. I hope they have bus trips!
- I may go to Coriole, even though it's about Wagner this year
- Dac is taking early retirement in July
- There is vague talk of going to Denmark for Christmas 2013. How wonderful that would be!
- If it happens, next year's letter will be late
The possum living in our garage
In the meantime, I hope you've had a good Christmas, and wish you all the very best for 2013.
Greetings also from the pusses
Page created 31 December 2012; last updated 23 February 2013