"The reality we manage to get into our heads is largely that reality which is abstracted through our symbol systems."
Time-binding: "The uniquely human ability to build on the accumulated knowledge of others, potentially to an exponential degree."
The Australian General Semantics Society (AGS)
is an incorporated association, first established in 1989 by Laurie Cox.
We are located in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra, Australia. Our resources include:
- Weekend one-day seminars: on some aspect or application of GS,
- Discussion groups: to participate in further study of General-Semantics,
- A library of hundreds of books, articles, and various media on GS,
- Affiliation and correspondence with the international Institute for General Semantics,
- Friendly, energetic, active people leading focussed and engaged lives.
...teaches us how symbols are related to experience so as to make it less likely that we take too seriously the absurd or dangerous nonsense that within every culture passes for philosophy, wisdom, and political argument.
...experience shows that when the methods of general semantics are applied, the results are usually beneficial, whether in law, medicine, business, etc., be they in family, national, or international fields. If they are not applied, but merely talked about, no results can be expected.
Last updated by RJ 30/07/2012)
Australian General Semantics Society Incorporated