"The reality we manage to get into our heads is largely that reality which is abstracted through our symbol systems."
Time-binding: "The uniquely human ability to build on the accumulated knowledge of others, potentially to an exponential degree."
" ...teaches us how symbols are related to experience so as to make it less likely that we take too seriously the absurd or dangerous nonsense that within every culture passes for philosophy, wisdom, and political argument."
"Experience shows that when the methods of general semantics are applied, the results are usually beneficial, whether in law, medicine, business, etc., be they in family, national, or international fields. If they are not applied, but merely talked about, no results can be expected."
The Australian General Semantics Society (AGS)
is an incorporated association, first established in 1989 by Laurie Cox.
We are located in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra, Australia. Our resources include:
* Seminars in-oerson and on-line, on the foundations and application of GS,
* Discussion groups: to participate in further study of General-Semantics,
* A library of hundreds of books, articles, and various media on GS,
* Affiliation and correspondence with the Institute for General Semantics,
* Friendly, energetic, active people leading focussed and engaged lives.
Due to changing circumstances, event schedules may change.
Email reminders are sent about 10 days before each event.
Saturday 11th June 2022
"Pacifism and the Notion of 'a Just War' "
facilitated by Robert James
Guest Presenter: Mr David Purnell
from the Canberra Quakers and the Social Developers Network!
"The notion of a 'just war' - is this an oxymoron?"
Alfred Korzybski thought that it was about time for the 'Manhood of Humanity', and that World War I would be the "War to End all Wars" etc.
So we ask ourselves eg ...
* "To be, or not to be?"
* Is general semantics a pacifist ideology?
* Is it "true" that "All is fair in love and War"?
* Can we be effective time-binders
when "the other party" does not play by the same rules?
* How can we use GS to assess the merits of fight or flight
when all negotiations are exhausted?
* Is it ever acceptable to engage in lethal combat when "we cannot walk away"?
* When should we "turn the other cheek" in the face of intolerable oppression?
* What about in the school-yard, at work, with friends or lovers, or in your marriage / partnership?
"All" will be explained (not) when we meet to discuss.
*** * ***
We have a very special Guest Presenter: Mr David Purnell, from the Canberra Quaker community, who comes from a very long association with our Laurie Cox and the Social Developers Network.
*** * ***
Saturday 11th June 2022 10 am - 1pm (Sydney time),
Friday 27th May 6 pm (Montreal, Ohio time).
On-line, by Zoom: Click here to join the meeting
Zero, Zilch - it's free!
Watch this website, or Contact AGS for details!
Last updated by Robert James 15th May 2022
Australian General Semantics Society Incorporated